Friday, February 4, 2011

Going Against the Grain: Real Women

Going against the Grain by Jacqueline Royester brought us back to slavery life for women. A statement was mentioned about former President, Thomas Jefferson, who had a distaste for slavery. From my knowledge of past literacies, I learned that even though Jefferson was said to be against slavery, he had slaves of his own. In addition, he engaged in sexual intercourse with some of his female slaves. Women had no rights, less than if they were black men, or even poor white men during that era. Elite white men created a social class for America, and black women were the lowest of the low. They were not even considered woman, as the notes state “elite white women being the “lady””.

I picture myself during those times. How would a person being of African American descent act now, having learned of slavery hundreds of years ago? I praise black women activists who during the Civil Rights Movement did not tolerate mistreatment and inequality. Rosa Parks proved she was a human just like the white men and women and refused to give up her seat. Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony created the first women’s conference at Seneca Falls, New York. Many women later stood up for all black women.

These women all define strength and endurance to me. The women in slavery who took pain and oppression, and continued to live; and women who stood up, spoke, and acted out against the evils of slavery, inequality, and segregation. I feel they all were very courageous and went through events that I do not believe I could have handled personally. Having lived through either time period is frightening and takes women who must do what she must to live. If I could, I would applaud each and every woman who lived life fighting against those wrongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment