Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Dysfunctional Literacies of Exclusion


Mandi Chikombero's Dyfunctional Literacies of Exclusion discussion the two main literacies in the novel Nervous Conditions which are traditional and colonial/modern literacy which "both belong to the category of cultural literacy (i.e., the knowledge and practice of ideas, values, and attitudes of a specific society)" (150).
As explained, traditional literacy has to do with "oral traditions, myths, legends, folktales, songs, and dances" that Tambu, the main character, learns (151). On the other hand, colonial/modern literacy is to be influenced by "Christianity, western civilization, and commerce", all of which was attained in Zimbabwe, the setting within the novel (154). In my own words, i would say cultural literacy would be to learn about aspects of cultural literacy: the language, beliefs, attire, religion, and overall lifestyle.
To balance both, i would say, is a difficult task to acquire. Wanting to learn of your family's and ancestors traditions but also having to conform to the society in which you live in can be an unbalanced scale in one's mind.
This specific struggle I have seen within my own life regarding me being a student in college. I have to decide each day to value my traditional values I once used as I lived with my parents or my modern literacy of just merely going through my day as a student. My traditional literacies taught me to wake up and pray, go to class, study, and attend my extracurricular activitites. But on the other hand, my modern literacies reveal me learning from my surroundings which are my classmate, my friends, and other students. To go and relax in lower manley, to hang out with my friends, go to parties; all the things of society.
Chikombero's essay displaying that there can be a conflict within balancing more than one literacy is relatable. Some may have to balance other literacies as: occupational literacy, religious literacy, classroom literacy, etc...I believe, however, having multiple literacies makes one a well-rounded, wholesome, diverse individual. I feel there is nothing wrong with more knowledge and information.

No comments:

Post a Comment